Sunday, June 22, 2014

June 3, 2014 What is that spot?



Hi there family and friends:

I am writing this blog to share my experiences with breast cancer.
But first, I must thank everyone who has worked to financially support breast cancer research.  It is because of this work that people like me no longer have to fear this, and can be proactive to ensure that breast cancer is not a death sentence.   From the bottom of my heart
 Thank You! What you have done, saves lives.

I will post to this blog anytime something new happens, or I have thoughts and feelings that I want to share with you.  My hope is that it becomes a reminder for prayer, and a source of encouragement for many.  Hopefully I will also be able to give answers to some as I learn facts and truths along the way.

June 3, 2014 -- What is that spot?

I am in for my routine mammogram.  As usual not expecting anything out of the ordinary.  In fact, I've been consciously thinking in recent days how lovely life is and how blessed I am to come from a family of "long-livers" (my term for people who live beyond 90!).  Praising God that this season of my life is so full with joys, victories, challenges, and reasons to live by faith.   Two elderly parents that my husband, Chris, and I love and look after in their different assisted living situations; and our two teenage daughters 16 & 18 years respectively; a growing marriage, and loving husband.  My fulfilling career that I hope to continue with for many more year before easing into retirement.

I'm called back by the technician who take me to a dressing room to but on a hospital gown -- open in the front.  A few minutes later, I 'm at the mammogram machine and she carefully places each breast for imaging. This time it really hurt and the two plastic plate squeeeeeeeeeeze down.  "Ouch" I tell her, she sweetly apologizes.  In my mind, I'm thinking its a good pain as I know they'll get great images.

I strain my neck to turn and look at the images on her computer screen. "Oh no", I see a spot.  I ask her "what is that?"  She mumbles something like "not sure, the radiologist will call you if there's an issue."

I come home, and immediately tell Chris that I saw a spot.  "What does that mean?" he asks.  "Well," I say matter-of-factly," if it's what I think it is, they will call and ask me to go in for a sonogram and biopsy. They probably will diagnose me with breast cancer."   With a doubtful look, Chris says "or it can simply be a cyst." "We'll see," I said.  "Either way they will call me for a recheck."




No comments:

Post a Comment